What to Expect on First Visit?
It is very important to make the first visit as positive and enjoyable for you as possible. We want you to enjoy getting to know our practitioners and team, and be comfortable at all times. After completing your initial patient questionnaire, you will be greeted by your practitioner. A medical history will be performed where the clinician may ask you about the following:
- description of your present condition
- steps you have taken to manage your condition
- personal and family medical history
- major illnesses in the past
- prescription or over the counter medications
- diet and exercise routine, your sleeping habits, daily activities, work
- routine, stress level, and home life
- herbal remedies and other supplements
If you are seeing your practitioner for the first time, and forgot to bring your own shirt/shorts,your practitioner may ask you to wear a medical gown in order to examine the area of your injury.
- check your blood pressure, pulse, and breathing
- test your reflexes, strength, and sensations
- assess your posture and screen the painful area
- X-ray your spine (if needed) if you are under the care of a chiropractor.
- analyze your movement – he/she will observe how you walk, turn, bend or lift things, as well as how your body moves in the affected area
- evaluation of how well your spine moves, identifying restrictions and areas of improper motion
- perform certain orthopedic and neurological tests
These assessments give your supervising practitioner a better picture of your complete health. He or she will make a diagnosis, prescribe a course of treatment, and once the matter of informed consent has been discussed, treatment may begin. If your chiropractor or physiotherapist diagnose a condition that can be more appropriately treated by another health care professional, he or she will make a referral. Your treatment from your practitioner, regardless of the stage of care, will often include exercise, lifestyle changes, and other healthy living suggestions.