A person who has suffered discomfort or pain for more than three months may require physical therapy. This type of pain is chronic, and it probably won’t resolve on its own. Physiotherapy can help in pain management.
Physical therapists can also help with a wide range of medical problems, depending on their area of expertise.
Although physical therapists do not treat medical diseases other than pure musculoskeletal conditions directly and independently, they aim to promote rehabilitation and teach patients on how to optimize their movement patterns.
Some of the conditions in which physiotherapy can help are the following:
- Cardiopulmonary conditions, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cystic fibrosis, and post-myocardial infarction heart failure
- Hand conditions, such as carpal tunnel syndrome and trigger finger musculoskeletal dysfunction, such as back pain, rotator cuff tears, and temporomandibular joint disorders
- Stroke, spinal cord injuries, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, vestibular dysfunction, and traumatic brain traumas
- Conditions affecting children, such as cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy
- Sports-related injuries, such as concussion and tennis elbow
- Female health and pelvic floor dysfunction, such as urinary incontinence and lymphedema
- Skin conditions or injuries, such as burns, wound care, and diabetic ulcers.
A person might need physical therapy to achieve the following health goals:
- Avoid Surgery
If physical therapy is successful in relieving pain or healing an injury, surgery may not be necessary. Furthermore, even if surgery is necessary, you may benefit from pre-operative physical therapy. In many circumstances, if you enter surgery stronger and in better form, you will recover more quickly. Additionally, avoiding surgery lowers health care expenses.
- Enhance Mobility
Physical therapy can assist you if you are having difficulty standing, walking, or moving – regardless of your age. Stretching and strengthening activities assist in regaining your mobility. Physical therapists can fit clients properly for a cane, crutches, or any other assistive equipment, as well as assess for orthotic prescription. By developing a personalized care plan, any action that is significant to an individual’s life can be practiced and customized to ensure maximum performance and safety.
- Recover from or Avoid Sustaining a Sports Injury
Physical therapists are aware of the ways in which various sports can raise your chance of suffering from specific sorts of injuries (such as stress fractures for distance runners). They can assist you in developing proper rehabilitation or prevention exercise regimens to guarantee a safe return to your sport.
- Enhance your Balance and Avoid Falling
When you begin physical therapy, you will undergo a fall risk assessment. If you are at a high risk of falling, your therapist will prescribe exercises that gently and safely stress your balance to simulate real-world scenarios. Additionally, therapists assist you with coordination training and assistive gadgets that aid in safer walking. When a balance problem is caused by a vestibular system impairment, physical therapists can execute specialized maneuvers to swiftly restore appropriate vestibular function and alleviate or eliminate dizzy or vertigo symptoms.
- Manage Difficulties associated with Aging
Individuals may suffer from arthritis, osteoporosis, or require joint replacement as they age. Physical therapists are experienced in assisting patients with joint replacement recovery and conservatively managing arthritic or osteoporotic disorders.
- Acupuncture Ottawa
- Chiropractor Ottawa
- Custom Orthotics Ottawa
- Graston Technique Ottawa
- Head & Neck Pain Ottawa
- Low Back & Hip Pain in Ottawa
- Middle Back & Shoulder Pain Ottawa
- Physiotherapy Ottawa
- ACL Injury Treatment Ottawa
- Arthritis Pain Relief Ottawa
- Back Pain Relief in Ottawa: Your options for treatment
- Child Youth Sports Injuries & The Treatments Available Ottawa
- Chronic Pain Relief: Treatments That Can Help Ottawa
- Concussion Treatment In Ottawa: The Best Ways To Get Better Quickly
- Pain Relief for Elbows, Wrists, & Hands Ottawa
- Treatments for Balance and Gait Disorders Ottawa
- Ottawa Shockwave Therapy
- Spinal Decompression Ottawa
- Sports Physiotherapy in Ottawa